Take Action Now
STORM-SURGE PROOFING MIAMI-DADE COULD COST ALMOST 5 BILLION DOLLARS
What Is Happening: The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is proposing a $4.6 billion investment to address storm surge risk in Miami-Dade County. Read the full proposal HERE. The proposal combines elevating properties and a range of grey infrastructure (seawalls, flood gates, etc) but, largely leaves out green infrastructure solutions (nature-based) like mangrove/coral reef restoration, does not address other climate-related issues like increasing sea level rise & chronic flooding, and does not address the bigger elephant in the room: the climate crisis!
See our response to the Miami-Dade County Commission with other members of the community here: Back_Bay Community Letter_Response_Final
See our response to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: USACE Back Bay Comment
- ‘A $5 billion Band-Aid’: Community groups push back on Army Corps plan for Miami-Dade
TELL THE ARMY CORP 5 BILLION DOLLARS IS TOO MUCH MONEY FOR A BAND-AID APPROACH!
We need a holistic approach solution that is inclusive, efficient, realistic, and non-invasive to our natural environment. Use the power of your voice and make yourself heard!
Suggested things to say in your comments…
- I am concerned that this proposal does not adequately consider the source of the climate crisis, chronic flooding, or nature-based solutions like mangrove or coral reef restoration.
- I am concerned that High-value properties are more likely to benefit from the above protection features, often at the expense of historically vulnerable communities.
- This study presents an opportunity to invest billions into resilience-building for Miami that is holistic, inclusive, and realistic to be climate-ready.
- I am concerned the community has not been adequately informed on this plan and more community educational outreach events are needed.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR COMMENT
You can make your public comment in the following ways:
Send an email with comments and talking points to MDBB-CSRMStudy@usace.army.mil
Please copy your comments to the County Commission:
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
*Please note that only formal written comments will be taken into consideration by the Army Corps.*