Effective Date July 8th, 2020
Registration. We do not ask that you register or enter any personal data to access or use most areas of the Sites. However, you may choose to subscribe to certain newsletters or petitions distributed by CLEO, or to join CLEO’s mailing list. To do so, you may be required to enter certain personal data, including your email address and mailing address. You also have the option to provide us with your telephone number and birthdate.
When you visit the Sites, CLEO and its service providers may collect personal information that you provide, such as your name, address, email address, and payment information. “Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable person.
CLEO and its services providers collect Personal Information that you provide while using the Sites, either directly or through other user actions, including, without limitation, any Personal Information provided or otherwise obtained while the Sites web pages are open. For instance, CLEO gathers information when you fill out forms on the Sites, including, for example, e-newsletter sign-up forms, donation forms, advocacy action alerts, and surveys. We may also use analytics that enables us to obtain your Personal Information based on your use of the Sites, including, for example, your clicks on Sites pages and page elements as well as information entered into the Sites’ HTML form fields, regardless of whether the form is submitted.
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- We use “cookies” to help us monitor traffic and collect information about the use of the Sites. Cookies are pieces of data placed on your device when you visit the Sites that help us recognize you when you come back to the Sites, allowing us, for instance, to remember the email address and password you use when you log in on a specific computer. CLEO uses the aggregated information collected from cookies to measure the number of visits to the Sites, the average time spent on the Sites, the identity and number of pages viewed, and to gather other traffic data and information that allows us to improve the Sites. We also use the information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, and to personalize your experience while using the Sites. Cookies further allow us to select which of our content is most likely to appeal to you and display it while you are on the Sites.
- Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, and Internet browser type and version.
- We may aggregate Personal Information. Aggregated information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Sites (for example, we may aggregate Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code).
CLEO does not share any donor information with anyone. To the extent any donations are processed through a third-party service provider, our donors’ information will only be used for purposes necessary to process the donation.
CLEO may use your Personal Information:
- To send you information about CLEO or The Florida Climate Pledge.
- To personalize your interactions with CLEO, such as to customize your web and email content based on your interests, send you requests to participate in events in your area and otherwise target content and communications to you.
- To respond to inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to process donations, or send you information about a project, as well as to provide membership services.
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests, and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information.
- To facilitate social sharing functionality.
- For our internal purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring, and prevention, developing new products and services, enhancing, improving or modifying the Sites, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, and operating and expanding our activities.
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- To our third-party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, information technology, and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing, and other similar services.
- To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our operations, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
We may also use and disclose your Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use it for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
- Set your web browser to inform you of when cookies are being set before a cookie is stored and refuse any request to set cookies, and do not accept cookies from CLEO. Erase all CLEO cookies from your hard drive.
- Do not provide your information when prompted by the Sites.
Please note, however, that if you choose to reject or erase cookies, your ability to navigate the Sites may be limited. Further, in the event you choose not to share information, CLEO will be unable to respond to your request for CLEO information, enter you in any sweepstakes or contests, facilitate your action via CLEO’s Action Network, or send online postcards.
If You Would Like to Stop Receiving Content from The CLEO Institute, simply opt-out by unsubscribing from our email blasts or text messages.
CLEO does not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13. The Sites are not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that CLEO learns that it has collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have collected any personal information from a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com immediately.
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request information about our disclosure of your personal information to third parties for those parties’ own direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send a letter to: The CLEO Institute.
2103 Coral Way, 2nd Floor
Miami, FL 33145
CLEO is committed to ensuring that any personal information we collect is secure. We have procedures and technology in place to safeguard and secure the information we collect. Records containing personal information are stored at secure facilities. Our websites use Transport Layer Security, the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private. All online donation transactions are handled by Payment Card Industry (PCI), -compliant vendors. PCI refers to the technical and operational standards that businesses must follow to ensure that credit card data provided by cardholders are protected. These security standards are in place for CLEO to protect your information.
The Sites are controlled and operated by us from the United States and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country, or territory other than that of the United States. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and, by using the Sites, you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than those of your country.